To beyond words… The Flaine Environmental Observatory: UNIQUE IN FRANCE
FLAINE... PILOT RESORT
Car-free resort, transport by ski buses, lifts between Flaine Forum and Flaine Forêt...
A pioneer in renewable energy. Flaine continues to initiate new measures.
OUR COMMITMENT TO THE ENVIRONMENT
UNIQUE IN FRANCE: The Flaine Environmental Observatory
In 2008, the Flaine ski area decided to set up an environmental observatory covering an area of 1400 hectares spread across 5 municipalities.
The aim is to comprehensively map biodiversity in all its forms (landscape, fauna, flora, specific biotopes), to factually monitor its evolution and to find solutions for preserving or rehabilitating the land.
The QSE initiative is one of the main managerial concerns of our companies.
The environmental policy focuses on reducing environmental impact and preventing pollution in our daily activities as well as in all of our facilities.
Our work towards minimizing our mark on the landscape is borne out by a number of measures, including:
PROTECTING THE NATURAL ENVIRONMENT
- Replanting which enables works carried out in the summer to be reintegrated into the landscape. Aside from restoring the landscape, it also reduces erosion and helps to maintain the snow cover in winter… In 2015, 28.75 hectares were treated. This equates to: 1500 tonnes of compost, 3 tonnes of mineral fertilizer and 2.37 tonnes of seed mix specifically adapted to suit mountainous terrain.
- Dismantling the power line at the top of the Grandes Platières.
- The removal of 51 pylons, 6 stations and 7 km of cabling following lift replacement.
- A campaign to paint white pylons grey so as to be less visible both in summer and winter.
- Destruction of the concrete footings of old lift systems.
- Consideration of the flora and fauna in collaboration with the organisation of nature reserve management (ONCF and ASTERS), GRIFEM (grouse protection) and the ONF.
- Specific action (AVIFAUNE): marking of cables, signalling of avalanche blasting.
- Forest and agro-pastoral management: renovation of alpine pastures, repair of alpine chalets.
- Creation of protection zones: Natura 2000, nature reserve, perimeter protection for Gérats.
- Restorative measures during work: re-grassing pistes where work has been done during the summer, de-rooting, softening contours, landscaping.
Staff training in energy management awareness.